- James Levine, 65, will be starting the 2008/09 season minus a kidney and the cyst that has been causing “pressure and discomfort”.. The six week recovery means Levine will have to miss the Elliot Carter 100th birthday celebrations at Tanglewood, something he was, “looking forward to more than I could say.” [AP | Boston Globe]
- “I’m disappointed that I had the greatest, most adrenaline-fueled on-the-job joy of my life when I was 22 and a college senior. It’s hard to look back on that high point eight years ago and accept that it will only recede further away from the present reality.” Marc Geelhoed beautifully captures what it’s like to be confined to the sidelines.
- “Criticism is a lonely job, and in the final analysis, either you’re a gang of one or you’re nothing at all.” Film critic Kenneth Turan on why critics can never be wrong.
- Turns out the Met opera simulcasts aren’t a sign of the Apocalypse after all.
On this day..
- XKCD: Ten Thousand - 2012